If you live on the east coast of North America like I do, I feel for you. As much as I’m a big fan of winter this year we’ve been pummelled by crazy weather that upset a lot of our holiday plans! First it was a massive snow storm in mid-December to the nastiest ice storm we’ve seen in recent history just two weeks later leaving hundreds of thousands of people without power for up to almost two weeks! With all this craziness PLUS the drop into deep freeze temperatures, it’s time to pull out the big guns: something hot and comforting you can wrap your hands around (preferably wearing an oversized sweater) and inhale like something out of a Pinterest pin.
The problem is that other than plain coffee and tea, most of the hot cozy drinks out there are chalk FULL of crap and contain a TON of sugar. This means a boatload of unnecessary calories and empty nutrients. This is no bueño when you’re doing your best to clean up your eating and treating your body like the awesome machine it is!
The good news is that you don’t have to forgo yummy drinks in the name of good health! You too can walk about your apartment wearing nothing but a sweater and knee high socks drinking something that warms up your heart, tastes good AND is healthy for you at the same time. Introducing my:
Clean Peppermint Hot Chocolate
- 1c unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or try unsweetened chocolate almond milk if your a BIG chocolate fan)
- 2 tbsp cacao powder (if you can’t find any, just find the most unprocessed cocoa powder available to you)
- 1/2 tbsp dry stevia (or a few drops of liquid stevia) optional
- 2 drops peppermint extract
- Mix almond milk, cacao powder and stevia into a small sauce pan on medium/high heat
- Stir with a whisk until the powder is thoroughly mixed in with the milk (the more you whisk, the frothier it gets)
- Cook until it’s at a low boil
- Pour into mug and enjoy!